Wednesday 10 December 2014

Week 6: Mobile Devices


Mobile phones have definitely been the top topic and a must have amongst society today.  It’s all about having the latest and greatest gadget, rather then, the actual use of a phone, to call people. Having mobile phones in an education setting seems interesting to me. For instance, I was always told to have my phone in my bag, turned off and unable to see during high school, and having no phone whatsoever during primary school. So when it comes to having mobile phones in the classroom, I have a new and intrigued approach to the topic. I always have on my mind if a phone can really be used in an educational environment or is it just a hassle because it can prompt bullying or stealing. I researched into this further and found that electronically devices can help the students with learning difficulties and students with a physical disorder. For example, there are apps that help a blind student to understand words and sounds. There are also different apps that help students of all different physical monitoring and physic. These programs help the students with subjects across the curriculum and can be set to their learning ability. In fact, I found most of these apps intriguing and helping me learn how the student learns. The app I chose to use learn with is a PowerPoint making app.  This app allows me to create a PowerPoint on my mobile device; this app is called “Microsoft PowerPoint”. I chose to create the PowerPoint using pictures from an educational app I found for my mobile device: this app is called “Duolingo”. Duolingo helps students to learn new languages across the world; students can choose their language of interest and get daily goals for the amount of time they will chose to use the app. The app was so much help and taught me so much in such a little time frame. 

To begin the learning process of Microsoft PowerPoint and Duolingo in my classroom would introduce the students to the apps and help them understand How to use mobile phone devices correctly. I will then allow the students to experiment with the different apps and electronically device, allowing them to choose their layout and design in Microsoft PowerPoint to allowing them to choose the language they want to learn in Duoligo. This allows the students to understand the framework of the apps in more depth and allows them to be intrigued with the topic because they are choosing their learning.  I will then use Microsoft Powerpoint again with the students, this time giving a short presentation about their language they chose and their learning process about the language. This procedure will ensure the student’s understanding and knowledge about SlideShark and allows them to share their learning journey with their peers. I will proceed by allowing the students to use their PowerPoints to teach their peers the language they have chosen. They can interpret different language features and discuss how the language features and use of words differ from English. The students will complete this lesson by using their mobile devices to pair up and compare their knowledge about the different language and how they choose to format their work on their electronically device for the other students to understand. They will compare their work using verbal comments and suggestions on how they can improve their work. They will then use Imessager on a mobile device, to send their feedback, so they are able to keep using and experimenting with the mobile device. 

Link to Slideshark: http://www.slideshark.com/Landing.aspx?pi=zHdzxb1aczLMDdz0

No comments:

Post a Comment